Illegal Dumpster Diving - Bin Pak
ILLEGAL ACCESS TO WASTE & DUMPSTER DIVING
Have your commercial bins been dealing with illegall dumping or are you concerned about dumpster diving?
We tend to think of the critical issues in commercial garbage as (1) cost of servicing, (2) cleanliness, and (3) pests and critters. Illegal dumping is a serious problem that all stores and other commercial businesses face on a daily basis. The problem falls into two categories:
(1) taking garbage out of commercial containers, and
(2) putting garbage into commercial containers.
Surprisingly, ‘taking garbage out’, or trash picking, can be the bigger problem which we’ll look at below.
Commercial garbage containers are being filled too quickly because unauthorized people are putting their trash into them. The problem is often household items by residential neighbours and unless the problem becomes overwhelming, the commercial business is frequently willing to accept this problem as a cost of doing business.
“Taking garbage out” of commercial containers can be a challenging and costly problem for commercial businesses to address. The ‘why’s’ of this problem represent a host of social and economic issues, and when the commercial business is located in major cities, the problem increases. The ‘garbage out’ problem has significant costs and bottom-line impact for the commercial business; they range from daily business waste clean-up, discarded food waste issues, staff safety issues, risk of fire if the garbage is used as fuel, risks to the person going through the waste. This problem also creates damage to equipment and to locks and bars used to secure locking dumpsters that are easily broken into, loss of good neighbour relationships from other commercial businesses wishing the ‘garbage-out business owner’ would just figure out a solution, and negative public relations that are felt by both the business and its customers. We’ve seen customers go to great lengths, often futile, to secure their garbage. Increased waste collection doesn’t solve the problem. Nor do “private property” signs!
What can be done? Moving your garbage inside may not be the best use of valuable real estate. BINPAK has a proven equipment solution that addresses this problem.
- A BINPAK Compactor is designed to prevent access to your commercial waste – it’s even bear-proof certified!! Well-designed disposal systems are specifically made to keep people out for safety certification reasons
- BINPAK Compactors compress the garbage and remove the value to people accessing your waste.
- Ensure your staff are trained in waste management best practices and retrained when staff change; leaving doors unlocked or open, bags outside the equipment (or worse, hanging out of the equipment) and improper disposal methods must be corrected to fix unauthorized access issues. BINPAK offers a compactor with an access door that locks after a specified amount of time, removing the need to rely on staff.
- Add motion sensor lighting in the waste area,
- Consider how waste collection equipment is placed; positioning totes so that they provide a good access point in and out of an otherwise secure waste area supports the problem (by providing a jumping in and climbing out point).
If you are a commercial business struggling with these problems, ask for help! The management practices required if this becomes an ongoing problem are far more expensive than the monthly rental on a secure compactor that delivers a solution that works!